Monday, May 2, 2011

Superfoods #1 Lucuma Powder

This is a new series called, Superfoods.  Today, I would like to introduce to you, Lucuma powder. As we know, the processed sugar is a "toxin" or a "poison" as The New York Times reports. Sugar is sugar whether it is white, brown, or fructose corn syrup. We love our sweets. Sweet flavor is our comfort taste.  Sweet flavor brings happy feelings, satisfy cravings, and increase our waistline as well.  Sugar also feeds cancer cells. 

According to the Epoch Times, a report has found that the United States is the fattest of 33 countries studied. Seventy percent of Americans are now overweight, a number that will increase to 75 percent by 2020 and 86 percent by 2030! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/02/is-sugar-toxic.aspx
I had to find different food source to satisfy my sweet cravings. I usually grab handful of raisins, eat sweet fruits like bananas, or my daughter's famous cacao slush or my carrot-raspberry slush. At times, I make granola with different sweet powders instead of processed sugar, agave or honey.
I found this "Gold of the Incas", Peruvian fruit, Lucuma. It comes in powder form. Lucuma is an excellent source of carbohydrates, fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin B3, niacin, and iron.  It has a rich maple flavor. I use it for making granola, ice cream, cold drinks or super puck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away friends... those who want to stir up trouble should pass. This is a friendly site with my thoughts and experiences please enable me to do that stressfree. Thanks.