Monday, May 9, 2011

Non or Sweet Almond Milk In Minutes

I love to drink a cold glass of almond milk everyday with my granola or just by itself.

Equipment needed: blender, nutbag
Ingredients:
1/4 cup soaked overnight raw almonds
4 pc. soaked dates (sweet, for non sweet do not use dates)
vanilla extract (optional)
pinch of sea salt (optional)
6 to 7 cups purified water

Directions: Just blend for 30 sec. to 1min. Place a nutbag into a bowl and pour the almond milk.  Squeeze. Save the almond pulp and dehydrate and can be used in making crackers or cakes.
Refrigerate almond milk. Will last no more than 3 days.

My son, Will, loves almond milk for breakfast.
*I like my almond milk on the light side. I use 1/4 cup and soak them. After soaking you will have about 1/3 cup of almond. I use 4 pc. of dates to make the milk sweet for my son. The recipe measure is done as I intended.

Almond is pack with nutrition. One oz. of almonds has about 7.4 grams of alpha tocopherol vitamin E, and that meets 50% of RDA and 6 grams of protein per oz. It contains fiber, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, iron.

3 comments:

  1. Cool. It never occured to me that we can make our own almond milk. I've been buying it at Marc's. It's yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a look at your measurements on the dates and almonds Na. You've got them reversed:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Na . . . I just looked at my previous comment and your post and realized that the dates were 4 pieces! My brain read 4 cups!!!! I make mine with 1 cup soaked almonds to 4 cups water with 3 dates added for sweetness.

    ReplyDelete

Comment away friends... those who want to stir up trouble should pass. This is a friendly site with my thoughts and experiences please enable me to do that stressfree. Thanks.